Skip to content

Non-Binghamton Programs

Already know that you are studying abroad on another SUNY or non-SUNY program?

To apply for programs administered by other SUNY institutions, you will apply directly to through their Study Abroad office in accordance with directions on their relevant webpage.

After you have been accepted and you decide to participate, you must then also complete a Binghamton general on-line education abroad application. (Binghamton does not need copies of your transcripts or letters of recommendation, we are only asking for some brief information.) Once this is done, we in the Office of International Education and Global Initiatives at Binghamton will provide you with checklists and important information to help you prepare to go abroad; we also register students participating on Other SUNY programs. Please complete the corresponding application below.  Thank you!

Other SUNY Button Other SUNY CC Button NonSUNY Button

More information:

Other SUNY Programs

While we promote participation in Binghamton University programs, we recognize that Binghamton cannot be in all countries or meet all the education-abroad interests of students. The offices of international programs at all SUNY campuses communicate regularly with each other and coordinate arrangements for students to participate in each others programs. SUNY schools offer over 600 programs in more than 100 countries.

Participants of SUNY programs remain registered at Binghamton under a general education-abroad rubric and continue to pay tuition to Binghamton. Financial aid can be applied toward these programs and students are guaranteed on-campus housing upon their return from study abroad.  Because you will be registered at Binghamton, you will pay SUNY tuition and the University Fee to Binghamton University. All the other expenses related to your education abroad experience will be paid either to the SUNY that is administering your program or according to the directions you receive from them. Credits appear on your Binghamton transcript as transfer credits, but become part of your permanent academic record as a transcript supplement automatically issued with your Binghamton transcript every time it is issued. Major and minor credit is approved by the appropriate department.

To search for SUNY Programs, use the following search engine: SUNY study-abroad programs.

Non-SUNY Programs

We encourage participation in non-SUNY programs when they are the best choice for you. Financial aid is not applicable to all non-SUNY options. If you normally use financial aid and are considering a non-SUNY program, meet with a staff member in the Office of International Education and Global Initiatives immediately, before starting the application process.Participants of semester or academic-year non-SUNY programs are on leave from Binghamton. All credits from non-SUNY programs must be approved by your school (Harpur, Decker, SOM, etc.) to count the credits as general credits toward graduation. Major and minor credit is approved by the appropriate department.  Students are NOT guaranteed on-campus housing upon their return from study abroad..

To identify these programs, search:.
Peterson's Online Guide to Study Abroad Programs
IIE Passport 

When researching these programs, you will encounter a huge range of options. Be sure to carefully investigate the programs that seem attractive. Contact the program sponsor to find out more about the program. Determine the level of student support provided by the program and make sure you understand the program's health and safety measures.  Asking to be put in touch with a recent, past participant is also an excellent way to find out more about a program. .